Emily does not enjoy participating in physical activity and does not engage in any organised sport.
She is reluctant to play in her backyard and avoids participating in PDHPE practical classes at school, often telling the teacher that she does not feel well or convincing her parents to write a note excusing her from participating. Her mum drives her to school every day. Emily's school is quite large, and she often has classes that involve climbing stairs to get to.
After school she quickly walks to a nearby shopping centre to meet up with her friends, buys an unhealthy snack and slowly wanders around for thirty minutes, before her dad's work ends and she is driven home.
On weekends, Emily will stay in her room, go on social media and talk to her friends on her mobile phone. She will occasionally
dance to songs in the privacy of her room, and often lies in her bed watching television, where she will also snack on junk food.
She enjoys going to movies and shopping. Emily classifies shopping as a sport.
She does not have a swimming pool in her backyard, and does not use the public swimming pool because she is self-conscious about her appearance. When she goes to the beach, Emily does not swim in the water for extended amounts of time and prefers sunbaking.
Emily does not have any pets, and does not go on walks for leisure.
Emily's parents do not maintain healthy eating and sleeping habits due to their shift-work, and Emily follows similar habits because she has not been exposed to any other modelling. Her parents do not have the opportunity to adequately supervise her sleeping and eating habits, computer usage and physical activity. Emily often cooks her own meals for breakfast and dinner, but if she is in a hurry she will just have a Nutella sandwich.
Emily often buys her lunch and recess from the canteen at school, and makes unhealthy choices that put her physical health and wellbeing at risk. When Emily feels like eating a snack, is stressed or tired, she will eat chocolates and chips rather than fruit.
When Emily was a pre-teen, her parents were not very strict with her use of technology and she was permitted access to social media for as long as she wanted, without supervision; this is an unhelpful habit Emily has maintained into her teenage years.
A Day in the Life of Emily...
- Is driven to school
- Walks from class-to-class and climbs stairs to get to some classes (10 minutes)
- Walks to shopping centre (5 minutes)
- Walks around shopping centre (30 minutes)
- Stays in her room on social media
- Dances to songs in her room (5 minutes)
- Total physical activity time = 50 minutes
- Moderate-vigorous intensity aerobic activity: Walking to shopping centre, dancing in her room
- Bone-strengthening activity: -
- Muscle-strengthening activity: Climbing stairs to get to class
- Does not limit sedentary behaviours including using her laptop for excessive amounts of time, often accessing social media and using technological devices right before she goes to sleep.